We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Random Apostasies and Heresies

A subject I would like to get to some time to write about is Bill Gothard's dangerous and false teachings.  However, here is a good overview.

I have mentioned the apostasy of Brian McLaren in a couple of previous posts, but if anyone doubts that this man is apostate, and heretical, then I suggest you take a look at this article in the Christian Post.

LifeWay stores have decided to no longer warn against emergent teacher and their books.  I guess the almighty dollar is more important than protecting the flock from false teachings.

The government in England has approved religious ceremonies for same-sex unions, even though it isn't legal yet in the secular world.  While the Church of England has stated they won't allow them, the usual suspects of the liberal "churches" are ready and willing to begin.

4 comments:

Jo Bowyer said...

Yes, look forward to an article on Gothard. I didn't EVEN want to click that link to read the article about him, but glad I did. Unbelievable about what he's up to these days, who's connected to him, not surprised. My family (husband and the kiddies) went to seminars over 30 years ago, Gothard teachings (plus Charismatic/WOF) equals absolute destruction. Will be looking forward to what you have to say.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Jo,

I don't know how soon it will be - I have a backlog of things I'm working on. I have a hefty file on Gothard, lots coming from Midwest Christian Outreach, including Don Veinot's book as mentioned in the article. I bought numerous copies (I met Don the year they came out) and provided copies to many local churches with Gothard followers.

It was investigating Gothard back in 1999 - prior to being on the 'net - which led me to do an official apologetics ministry after 25 years of doing it anyway.

Drew said...

The main point of that Gothard article seems to be that wives should NOT submit to their husbands. I think wives should submit to their husbands.

The condemnation of dating and college, though, are obviously in error. I can sort of see where they're coming from, though, given that so many people date in immoral ways or become corrupted by college.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

There's a lot more to that article than that, and there is a lot more to Gothard and his legalistic and aberrational teachings.

The question isn't whether wives should submit to their husbands, rather it is how this is done. Gothard's idea is that she is virtually a slave, and must submit even to abuse. No one should submit to an abusive husband's abuse. The husband who abuses is not following his part of the Ephesians passage!

The courtship model propagated by Gothard is onerous, aberrational, unbiblical and in ways a wee bit perverse. Many, many people have been hurt through this, and there is a blog I am currently following which explains some of this stuff: http://wearewalkinginchrist.blogspot.com/

Another one I've been recently following will give you a good idea of Gothard's courtship teachings: http://thecommandmentsofmen.blogspot.com/

Some of the other issue addressed on that site are what Gothard and his ilk teach.