We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

WHAT? Another Bible?!?!?!

Do publishers ever get tired of coming up with new ways to sell God’s Word?

Zondervan has come out with new Bibles using the NIV. These various Bibles are produced under the title of “VerseLight.” The advertisement in the catalog I received from a local “Christian” book store chain has this to say about this new idea for taking in more money: “For anyone who’s wanted, or wanted to give, a Bible with verses highlighted based on the person’s need…now there is VerseLight. The complete NIV has specific passages highlighted throughout for hope, love, faith or prayer.” That’s right, four new Bibles, and probably more on the way.

How about how to study God’s word for yourself instead of letting someone do it for you?

It seems to me that Zondervan came up with a way to make money off of lazy Christians who will let Zondervan tell them what verses are appropriate for their particular need.

Thank you, Zondervan, but I’d rather study for myself and choose my own verses. How about you just publish the Bible and quit thinking up new ways to enrich yourself off of God’s Word. And while you’re at it, Zondervan, how about you quit selling heresy and Romanism in your “Family Christian Stores”!

1 comment:

Crystal's Ministry Updates said...

I agree with you...there have been verses highlighted by topic for years. At least I have a friend that had one in high school, i mean. I have often thought of that with this whole discipleship process. I am glad to have others imput and instruction and people to "call me on the carpet" and stuff at times, because sometimes i need that. But I am not receiving the "standard official" discipleship from another person. I like it that way--that way God is the One discipling me through the Holy Spirit and it's pretty cool...maybe that is the way it is suppose to be????