We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A.W. Tozer quotes

A couple goodies from A.W. Tozer have come across my computer this week that just have to be shared. First, this one was posted on Apprising Ministries' blog (no reference given):

"The church has lost her testimony. She has no longer anything to say to the world. Her once robust shout of assurance has faded away to an apologetic whisper. She who one time went out to declare now goes out to inquire. Her dogmatic declaration has become a respectful suggestion, a word of religious advice, given with the understanding that it is after all only an opinion and not meant to sound bigoted. Pure Christianity, instead of being shaped by its culture, actually stands in sharp opposition to it."

The Berean Call posted this on their e-mail newsletter:

"Some of my friends good-humoredly - and some a little bit severely - have called me a 'mystic.' Well I'd like to say this about any mysticism I may suppose to have. If an archangel from heaven were to come, and were to start giving me, telling me, teaching me, and giving me instruction, I'd ask him for the text. I'd say, 'Where's it say that in the Bible? I want to know.' And I would insist that it was according to the scriptures, because I do not believe in any extra-scriptural teachings, nor any anti-scriptural teachings, or any sub-scriptural teachings. I think we ought to put the emphasis where God puts it, and continue to put it there, and to expound the scriptures, and stay by the scriptures. I wouldn't - no matter if I saw a light above the light of the sun, I'd keep my mouth shut about it 'til I'd checked with Daniel and Revelation and the rest of the scriptures to see if it had any basis in truth. And if it didn't, I'd think I'd just eaten something I shouldn't, and I wouldn't say anything about it. Because I don't believe in anything that is unscriptural or that is anti-scripture." - What Difference Does the Holy Spirit Make?, A. W. Tozer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

curious if you have an oppinion on the teachings of James MacDonald?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Howdy Anonymous 5/3/09,

I have never heard of MacDonald so I searched him out, read his blog, looked over his church site and did about 45 minutes looking over everything. I like what I see. I especially liked how he is willing to rebuke in public false teachers.

My one concern about Harvest Chapel are two books they carry in their book store: Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" and a book by Brother Lawrence. Both these authors, especially Foster, have been exposed as false teachers - mystics - on numerous apologetics sites. I e-mailed the church and suggested they remove these books.

4simpsons said...

I've listened to countless Podcasts by MacDonald. Good stuff. Verse by verse through the Bible, doesn't pull punches.